- 18% of respondents identified Data Collection & Analytics among their top concerns when developing IoT solutions. This is a 50 percent increase over last year. Security is the second most important concern. Integration with Hardware is the third most important concern. Connectivity is in third place.
- MQTT is still the preferred standard for IoT messaging. AMQP is growing in popularity as companies scale up their IoT deployments.
- Open source software is used in 93 percent of IoT databases and data stores. The data collected and used in IoT applications can be very diverse. It can include time series sensor data, device information, logs, and even logs.
- Linux is the undisputed OS for IoT.
- Security is the number one concern in every survey. Security was the No. 1 concern in all surveys, but “it is not a secret that security is difficult and there are unfortunately still only a few security-related practices that are front burner for IoT developers.” The two most popular security practices used by respondents are communication-layer security (for instance, DTLS or TLS) and data encryption. They were used by 57.3 percent and 45.1 respectively.
The Eclipse IoT Working Group partnered with several organizations to promote the survey among different IoT communities between January-March, generating 502 responses.